The Gardens

The gardens have been designed as a combination of hedged rooms and tree lined avenues set on a south east slope ending in a woodland planted with specimen trees bordered by a stream.

These peaceful and privately owned gardens, first created in 1890, are the exceptional result of generations of careful attention.  There are over ten acres of formal and informal planting, encircled by old woodland and orchards, typical of the 'garden of England'. The atmospheric feel of these grounds has evolved and matured over the years.  In spring there is a mass of blossom and bulbs, followed in the summer by old-fashioned roses and scented, exuberant borders. A dazzling display of autumn colour ends the season.  There are many surprising features too, as the current owners delight in the unusual, such as a mosaic terrace. The garden has historical details with Victorian gazebo, Edwardian rockery, and fragrant Italianate 1900 walled garden, all evocative of earlier times.  The gardens have also been influenced with ideas from around the world as in some of the statuary, the bamboo plantation, the pretty allium pasture and the bog garden with its exotic gunnera.  Several water features attract wildlife and compliment the setting.

A beautifully restored C19th greenhouse is home to a colourful orchid collection, situated in the neat and comprehensive 'potager' kitchen garden.

Most of the garden is accessible to wheelchair users in dry weather, including the refreshment area. There is a wheelchair friendly lavatory.

Sorry, no dogs except guide dogs.

Click images to enlarge - click here for More Garden images

 

 

 
 
 
 

 

 

Click here for more Garden images

Click here for photographs of the garden taken by Hospice in the Weald photography group

back